Friday, January 28, 2011

Baby Shower




Sometimes when I look at our life right now, I almost have to shake myself. Admittedly I asked God way too many times if we would get to a point like this in our lives. Thankfully I feel as though He has chosen to honor our following Him down many bumpy paths with a season of life full of blessings.

One of the biggest blessings we have had since moving to GA is the blessing of friendship. Going two years in CT without any social contact whatsoever we were thrilled just to have people talking to us in stores when we first moved down here. To think that in 2 1/2 years we are at a place where we have friends that feel like family, have people that love us enough they don't mind watching our kids while we have another one, and go out of their way to help and bless us humbles me to no end. Only by God's grace.

Four of my sweet friends (my friend Emily didn't make it into the picture above) helped throw me and baby girl a shower a couple weeks ago. It was beautiful, and delicious, and a day I will always remember. Not only did they go out of their way to make the day special for me (like they knew I think most shower games are cheesy, so we played Scattegories, and they knew I loved cheese, so there was a cheese tray, and so many other special touches...) but I was amazed at how many people came.

That may sounds silly, but my out of town guest list was longer than my in town guest list, and none of our family or friends were going to be able to make it in that day. As a general rule you only expect half to three quarters of your guest list to show up, but almost everyone on the list was able to come. And they all brought such sweet and thoughtful gifts for baby girl.

Even thinking about it I feel overwhelmed with love. It was an incredible day, not just the friends and food and gifts, but dwelling in God's mercies, grace and blessings in this period of life and doing my best to take it all in.

Two and a half years ago we were begging Him for His guidance and will. We were thrilled just that it led to us leaving Connecticut. In the past two years we have asked for close friendships, a church where we could serve with our talents and that was consumed with Jesus and His word, another baby, and then more specifically a baby girl.

So grateful we serve an abundant, loving God who hears us.

No comments: