Sunday, June 01, 2008

As previously mentioned, I am starting to incorporate some of my food passion into this blog. I was reading the Beth Moore blog and there was a post about fresh fruit tarts. Well it got me wanting a tart, so I had to make one. The only problem is, I have difficulty eating a dessert that does not involve chocolate some how, and I didn't want to buy 5 different kinds of fruit just to make one tart, so I took her recipe and created something to suit my needs.


Here is her recipe, it's the second one on the page, although you might be interested in the first too if fruit tarts sound good to you. I used her crust recipe, and the vanilla bean custard filling (which is amazing).


To make it my own, I took the tart shell and spread a thin layer of dark chocolate on the bottom, I then put the vanilla bean custard down, and then spread another thin layer of chocolate on top (I like chocolate and richness, but I found the two layers of chocolate distracted from the taste of the custard, next time I will cut it down to one layer on top, because it's prettier that way). I then placed some amazing organic raspberries they had on special from Whole Foods on top. I'm a fan of the raspberries, but strawberries, or oranges would be just as good. To help keep the raspberries fresh (because they go bad quickly) I took some raspberry preserves mixed with a little water and brushed a light layer on top. It helps to make it shiny too. I would also recommend refrigerating this, if it lasts long enough to need refrigeration.


Here are the results:


This last one sort of shows the layers. Normally they won't run into one another when cut, but since Josh and Chris were about to jump out of their seats in anticipation (and if I waited another half an hour my three year old would have been up until midnight) I didn't let the top layer of chocolate set before putting the raspberries on and cutting. You should do that. Unless you don't care about your layers and just want to eat it. Whatever works.

6 comments:

Lant Family said...

YUMMY--That looks so good. I am totally like you. I need chocolate. I think other treats are good but really I want chocolate. I am totally like that with candy also. I like skittles and starburst but nothing beats the snickers.

Marita said...

Hi! Had to pop over and see the pictures after they were mentioned on Beth Moore's site. What an awesome take on the tart. It is absolutely beautiful.

Blessings,
Marita

Kimberly said...

Yes, I also was intrigued after reading your comment on the LPM blog. Your tart is gorgeous! And it looks delicious.

Rachel said...

yum!! so neat that you added the chocolate! Looks delish!

petrii said...

Hey just found your blog from LPM ~~ get out of town sista ~~ this is toooooooo great!! I as well LOVE LOVE LOVE to cook!! I may have to give this a go. But can you direct me to where I might find vanilla beans ?!!

Dawn

confused said...

Ditto, saw your post on LPM blog & had to take a peek. BEAUTIFUL!!!