Saturday, August 06, 2011

First Grade

Well this past week has been our last week of summer.

As typical it's bittersweet. I'll be honest...I am so. ready. for him to go back to school. The talkback, bickering and attitude has been at an all time high. If I didn't know any better I'd say I was living with a teenager!

That said, I know as soon as he goes back I'm going to miss him. Especially once baseball starts, it seems like we get a lot less time together as a family.

We've done a bunch of fun stuff this week (on top of school supply and clothes shopping) getting ready for the return to school. We've been to the library twice, had a play date in the sprinkler with his best friend, a play date at the pool and lunch with other friends, a lunch date with daddy and some fun treats. This weekend we're hoping to make it to Chuck E. Cheese and take the boys to a movie (since the forecast has rain in it, bummer- we were hoping to go to a water park).

On top of all of that we've been brushing up on our knowledge from last year. We went over the kindergarten and first grade Dolch site words, of which he gets 90% right on the first time. Which I think is awesome. The ones he usually stumbles on are could, know, and who. All very tricky. Dumb English language. We've been working on our writing and reading as well.

Sadly it took us the end of summer to get to the library but the boys love picking out the new books. First we hit the army section, then the animals (usually sharks, wolves and other predator books are the priority), then the educational beginner reader books and then the random fun ones. It's funny they know right where to go first.

Jack doesn't start until after Labor Day, and while he's disappointed to not be getting a new back pack yet or know who his teacher is, I'm looking forward to getting some extra hang out time with him and I before he goes back. It's amazing how different he is without Josh around. And he hasn't gotten much time with just me since EvaKate came so I'm looking forward to getting to dote on him some like I did Josh this week.

We met his teacher this past week and she was nice. She has a 6 year old boy so she gets boys and it's always helpful when they can talk the "lingo". You know, bombs, guns, superheros and the like. I think what made us so excited about his new class is when we were checking his class list we bumped into his kindergarten teacher (who was great!) and she said if she could have picked classes for the kids, she would have chosen this teacher for Josh. That was enough for me to hear. Especially since she's more of an expert on my sons learning style after spending a year with him around his peers than I am.

It will be an interesting school year. We'll have two boys in school, we will be more familiar with the schedule routine and expectations, and Lord willing we won't be having any major deaths and for sure no births! I'm looking forward to being able to be more involved in the classes, and a bit more time when they get home to be more focused on homework and quality time. We'll see though, there is always the unexpected! Excited to get things started!

No comments: