Wednesday, July 06, 2011

RockStar Daddy

My husband is amazing. Seriously.

Not perfect, don't hear me say that. He has his flaws, and he's a boy (meaning I can't expect him to read my mind, or think like I do and that's why he is good at what he does and I'm good at what I do...we don't think a like).

But great. A great leader, hard worker, humble beyond belief, incredible father, and most importantly in this case...brilliant.

This summer our boys manners (particularly Josh's) have taken a down hill turn for the worse. We hit a wall when he responded to one of our friends by talking back. Oh no he didn't.

So the discipline on talk back and lack of manners got a crack down, with not great results.

While having issues at the dinner table again last night my husband came up with a brilliant solution. Instead of disciplining the bad behavior we would focus on rewarding the good. Every time there was a yes ma'am or yes sir they got a mark. We started off small so they would get the idea, 10 marks got a treat. They learned fast. Now I can barely get something out of my mouth before they respond yes ma'am. Now we're working up to a toy from Target.

His idea was if they were focused on responding in the right way there would be less time for them to think about talking back or responding in an inappropriate way. I can think of so many ways to apply that theory, even in my own life.

Thankful for such a great guy in my life, and for his helping to restore my sanity!

No comments: