Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Josh loves the bible. In fact we even got into our first theological debate the other day. I was so proud. He has his own little bible that he carries around, and will take in the car, and flip through the pages one by one "reading" them. Of course his favorite is David and Goliath. He even role plays it with Chris, alternating which one of them is Goliath and gets to "die".

That's also where our debate landed. He was looking at his bible in the car and telling me the story about how David "shot" Goliath with the rock and he fell down dead. I told him I wasn't sure Goliath died, and he told me "yes, he did mom it says so in my bible" (love that he already believes in the inerrancy of scripture!), so of course I looked it up in my real deal bible. While driving. I don't recommend that. My bible said Goliath fell facedown. Sketchy. So I looked up the Hebrew, and he did die. Josh was rather proud of himself.

It gives me such joy to see him having a passion about God and Jesus and the bible, kindling a deep relationship with all three.

It is also very rewarding in another sense. It's proof that he really does hear me (and hopefully see). For all of the things that I tell him to not to do, and all the manners I try to teach him that seem to fall on deaf ears, there is some tiny little bit that may have sunk in. Not negating God's role in this, obviously he's the main orchestrator already giving Josh a disposition towards himself. But to know that a little something of what I said was heard.

I can't begin to express how encouraging that is. It gives me hope, and encourages me. Maybe sometime soon we'll see some fruit from some of the other things I've repeated to him over and over. Like not shooting at people while we're in the store.

1 comment:

renee said...

katie...this made me cry this morning. thank you soo much for sharing!!!